Pattern of IIT – JAM (MA)
The JAM Examination will be carried out as ONLINE Computer Based Test (CBT) where the candidates will be shown the questions in a random sequence on a computer screen. The duration of the examination will be 3 hours. The medium for the test paper will be English only. There will be a total of 60 questions carrying 100 marks. The entire paper will be divided into three sections, A, B and C. All sections are compulsory. Questions in each section will be of different types as given below:
- Section – A contains a total of 30 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) involving 10 questions of one mark each and 20 questions of two marks each. Each MCQ type question has four choices out of which only one choice is the correct answer. Candidates can mark the answer by clicking the choice.
- Section – B contains a total of 10 Multiple Select Questions (MSQ) carrying two marks each. Each MSQ type question is similar to MCQ but with a difference that there may be one or more than one choice(s) that are correct out of the four given choices. The candidate gets full credit only if he/she selects all the correct answers only and no wrong answers. Candidates can mark the answer(s) by clicking the choice(s).
- Section – C contains a total of 20 Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions involving 10 questions of one mark each and 10 questions of two marks each. For these NAT type questions, the answer is a signed real number, which needs to be entered using the virtual numeric keypad on the monitor. No choices will be shown for these types of questions.
- In all sections, questions not attempted will result in zero mark. In section-A (MCQ), wrong answer will result in negative. For each wrong answer of 1 mark questions, 1/3 mark will be deducted and similarly for each wrong answer of 2 marks questions, 2/3 mark will be deducted. In Section – B (MSQ), there are no negative and no partialmarking provisions. There is no negative marking in Section – C (NAT) as well.
- There is provision of using online virtual calculator and hence, the candidates should not bring any calculator with them.
- Mobile phones or any other electronic devices are strictly prohibited inside examination hall. Charts, graph sheets and tables are also NOT allowed inside the examination hall.
- A scribble pad will be provided for rough work and this has to be returned back at the end of the examination.
- The candidates are required to select the answer for MCQ and MSQ type questions using the mouse. The answer for NAT questions can be entered using a virtual numeric keypad (the keyboard of the computer will be disabled). At the end of the 3 hours, the computer will automatically end the examination.
Use of unfair means by a candidate in JAM, whether detected at the time of examination or at any other stage will lead to the cancellation of his/her candidature as well as disqualification of the candidate from appearing in JAM in future.
The candidates are advised to visit the JAM website for more details on the patterns of questions for JAM, including examples of the questions. Candidates will also be able to take a mock examination through a ‘Mock Test’ link that will be made available on the website closer to the examination date.
For Syllabus : http://jam.iitkgp.ac.in/?id=p&n=405
For More Information: http://jam.iitkgp.ac.in/